Guided Tours of France – Itinerary
Read the itinerary for our guided tours of France. Join us to explore this beautiful area on our 10 day escorted tour of France.
We are only doing one tour in 2018
25 May – 4 June – places still available
Small group tour with a maximum of 6 guests
Accommodation will be at Les Noisetiers and we will also have two overnight stays – one in the Loire and one in the Dordogne.
- We will pick you up from Angouleme train station in the morning and drive you back to Montignac Charente to settle into our beautiful home beside the Charente River
- Lunch (including wine) by the river at home in Les Noisetiers
- Free afternoon to settle in and relax
- In the early evening we will drive back to Anguoleme for dinner and have free time to explore the old town
Day 2 Saturday
- After breakfast, we will drive 45 minutes south to the beautiful city of Cognac and tour one of the cognac distilleries and sample their wares. Lunch at a local restaurant and wander the cobbled streets with shops.
- After lunch, we will take a boat trip (gabarre) on the Charente river (weather permitting) or visit the nearby town of Saintes
- Restaurant dinner in Montignac or in one of the nearby villages
Day 3 Sunday
- After breakfast we will drive west to the coast and visit the beautiful small island of Il de Re. Enjoy lunch by the waterfront at Saint-Martin de Re (own expense). Browse the small boutiques and markets.
- In the afternoon we will drive back to the seaside town of La Rochelle. Free time to explore.
- Dinner by the waterfront before we drive home.
Day 4 Monday
- Today we will drive north after breakfast to the beautiful Loire valley to visit the chateaux and gardens of the area
- We will visit Villandry and its beautiful gardens and have lunch there
- After wine tasting at nearby Vouvray, we will visit the Chateau Royal d’Amboise
- Overnight and dinner in Amboise
Day 5 Tuesday
- Today after breakfast at our hotel, we will visit Clos Luce (the Leonardo da Vinci museum) and then onto Chateau de Chaumont and its international garden show
- After lunch (own expense), we will visit the beautiful Chateau de Chenonceau
- Back to Les Noisetiers in the evening and a light supper at home
Day 6 Wednesday
- Free morning to sleep in and relax after a busy two days
- Lunch at La Grange aux Oies in the grounds of the Chateau Nieuil – a fabulous 4 course lunch with wine in beautiful surroundings
- After lunch we will visit the picturesque village of Verteuil on the banks of the Charente river with its imposing chateau
- Light supper back at Les Noisetiers (if you can fit it in!)
Day 7 Thursday
- Free morning – explore our little village; take a canoe ride on the river or visit a nearby Roman amphitheatre.
- We will have lunch at the L’Auberge de l’Abbaye in the next village of St Amant de Boix and visit the medieval Benedictine Abbey
- Dinner at home by the river
Day 8 Friday
- After an early breakfast we will drive south to the Dordogne region and visit the beautiful village of Brantome and experience their Friday morning markets.
- After lunch at one of the village restaurants (own expense), we will head to the famous Lascaux 11 caves (entrance included)
- We will then drive to Sarlat la Caneda where we will stay overnight and have dinner at a local restaurant in the medieval town centre or in nearby Beynac.
Day 9 Saturday
- In the morning, visit the market which has taken over the town since medieval times; have lunch at one of the many cafés or try the local produce from one of the many stalls (own expense)
- After lunch we will head west to the famous wine region of St Emilion, perhaps stopping at the picture perfect village of La Roque-Gageac on the Dordogne river on the way (one of the most beautiful villages of France).
- Time to explore St Emilion and its numerous wine shops.
- Back in the evening to Montignac and dinner at home
Day 10 Sunday
- After breakfast we will visit the village of Aubeterre sur Dronne and its underground church. Lunch in the picturesque village square (own expense) where they have a small Sunday market.
- Farewell formal catered dinner at Les Noisetiers in the evening
Day 11 Monday
- Breakfast, then packing up and leaving for Angouleme
NB. This itinerary is a guide only and there could be some slight changes to take advantage of last minute opportunities that may occur in the local area
- Local markets
- Wine tasting
- Experiencing the local cuisine
- Visiting gardens, caves, chateaux
- 10 continental breakfasts
- 5 lunches (wine included in 2 lunches)
- 10 dinners (including house wine)
- Scheduled sightseeing entrance fees & activities
- 10 night’s accommodation including Sarlat and the Loire Valley
- All transportation
- Pick up and drop off in Angouleme
- Travel to Angouleme
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- 5 lunches
- Alcoholic beverages apart from house wine with dinners
- Entrance fees and activities you wish to do in the allocated free time
Find out about prices for our Guided Tours of France.